Saturday, May 15, 2010

Theories

Some theories I have that in no way reflect anyone's opinion but my own. But I do think someone can learn from what I say.

One thing I feel very strongly about is the absolute power of Halacha. It exists, and cannot be changed by any regular authorities today. The greatest of Rabbi's can interpret the law that was given to us. However, that does not mean that every word spoken by sages, commentaries, and the like over the past 3,000 years is absolute truth. Our Rabbis and sages have taught, said, and ruled on many different subjects. Most of them have commented on many subjects, but that does not indicate a Halachik ruling. The more Religious public and learned population takes for granted that everything said by our Rabbi's in the past are automatically rulings for generations. Very often, they were only values for their generations. Our Rabbis today have the right to make rulings based on what is right for our generation.

Another thing that I like to focus on for myself is the understanding that until God comes down from the Heavens, or sends a Rabbi like R' Chaim Rappaport (author of the tremendous "Judaism and Homosexuality") to give a solution as to what a frum homosexual should do with their lives, I will just have to do the best I can to live my life. I will have to live my life the way I feel God wants me to and do the best I can to observe his commandments, while also attempting an emotionally stable existence (via my being out of the closet) to ensure my happiness.

Something I feel incredibly strong about is that God wants us all to try our best. In my humble opinion, Hashem want us all to do the best job we can serving Him. We all have the individual right to create our own relationship with God and no Rabbi, ancient or modern, can tell us how to do that. All God wants is to see us trying, to see us attempting at creating a life within His boundaries, or anything we can do close to that. That's all He wants, and all He can ask for. In my opinion.

9 comments:

  1. u make some good points.

    and moreover, no where does judaism guarantee happiness. its a common misconception among humans. so ur right, u just gotta do the best u can. thats all god asks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Some theories I have that in no way reflect anyone's opinion but my own. ... In my opinion.":

    This is not on topic but I wanted to give you a tip if you ever want to express yourself. Whenever you want to make your own point of view, try not to say "In my opinion" or "I think that". It makes the argument sound so much weaker. Rather boldy say what you want to say.

    "However, that does not mean that every word spoken by sages, commentaries, and the like over the past 3,000 years is absolute truth.":

    Why not? If the Torah comes directly from God, and was not written by people, then it follows that what the Torah rules is eternally binding. Indeed, it even says in the Torah that all the commandments are forever binding so that we cannot add or subtract anything from it.

    I like you, you seem like a very sweet and nice guy. But I am concerned about your happiness. See, I think, you would be much happier and live a much better life if you recognized that perhaps some stuff in Judaism was made up by people, not from God, to control people. And if you were to realize that then you would no longer pain yourself with that you are gay. This is why I asked you my question above about the eternal binding of the Torah. To make you consider that there is much that we do not follow anymore. And that perhaps some of Judaism has been invented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baruch, are you suggesting - that torsh she baal peh is void?

    if so, your a classic kofer. why drag frum gay down with you or anyone else for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spinoza is a figment. I don't believe in him. Whatever he writes is invented.

    FG, you're a brave soul, a test for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. people like Spinoza should be in cherem

    ReplyDelete
  6. "why drag frum gay down with you or anyone else for that matter.":

    I am do not drag people down. My offer a more intelligent way to look at the world. A view which would rise someone above. I would not tell him that if I did not think it would make him a happier person.

    "Spinoza is a figment. I don't believe in him. Whatever he writes is invented.":

    Whatever he writes he offers a rational defense of.

    "people like Spinoza should be in cherem":

    Yes, they should if the Jewish people cannot make themselves brave enough to listen to rationality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Writes Spinoza: "I would not tell him that if I did not think it would make him a happier person."

    So.....whenever someone is feeling down about any halacha or saying of G-d, go to Spinoza and he will make something up to make you feel better...

    what a joke this guy is

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Israel, Spinoza would be welcome. 89% of the electorate is secular. They would have no need to refer to traditional structures. Nihyeh k'chol hoamim.

    rational.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, you're all saying some ridiculously mean things to Spinoza. I didn't realize that we, as Jews, can make broad sweeping judgments about people we don't even know and call them heretics and tell them they should be ostracized. Such a kind community are we.

    ReplyDelete

It Gets Better- Gay Orthodox Jews